Twins Opener Postponed to Friday
The Twins scheduled home opener against Seattle Thursday has been postponed to Friday due to inclement weather. The game Friday is set to start at 3:10 p.m. Hear the game on WJON with coverage starting at 2:30. Joe Ryan will be the opening day pitcher for the Twins with Robbie Ray getting the ball for the Mariners.
The Twins say:
- All scheduled Opening Day festivities will now occur on Friday, beginning with
- Breakfast on the Plaza at 6:00 a.m.
Pregame Ceremonies (in order):
- Joining in the Opening Day spirit, a multitude of local buildings will be lit in Twins colors, including Target Plaza South, the IDS Building, the Lowry Avenue Bridge and the 35W Bridge.
- Fans are invited to join the Twins for Breakfast on the Plaza (6:00 to 9:00 a.m.) and drive, walk or bike down 7th Street to grab a free ballpark breakfast, enter to win Twins-themed prizes and hear live music from DJ Mad Mardigan,
- Target Field will be officially opened for the 2022 season at 1:00 p.m. by current Twins players (Twins Season Ticket Holder Gate near Target Field Station) and legends Tony Oliva (Gate #6), Kent Hrbek (Gate #14), Tom Kelly (Gate #3) and Jim Kaat (Gate #29), along with Kirby Puckett Jr. and Catherine Puckett (Gate #34). The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a Twins Jacket courtesy of Your Local Northland Ford Dealers.
- Families can enjoy all the fun of the Target Bullseye Fan Zone located just inside Gate 34.
- Both teams will be introduced along the foul lines, with fireworks accompanying the Twins’ Opening Day starting lineup.
- An In Memoriam video and moment of silence will pay tribute to those whom we have lost this past offseason.
- 94-year-old World War II veteran, Technician 5th Grade Arnold Skow, and his son, Randall (a Vietnam Era veteran) will raise the American flag inside Gate 34 as part of the Salute to America presented by Thomson Reuters. Arnold joined the Army at the age of 18 and served with the Engineer Corps in the Aleutian Islands, while Randall joined the Army at 19 years old and deployed to Korea and Japan as an optical lab specialist.
- Returning to the field on Opening Day for the first time since 2019, Twins Season Ticket Holders will unfurl a second, giant American flag.
- The National Anthem will be sung by North Minneapolis’ Shiloh Temple International Ministries Choir.
- A flyover will feature “Miss Mitchell,” a World War II-era North American B-25J Mitchell based out of the Commemorative Air Force Minnesota Wing in St. Paul. “Miss Mitchell” served in the 310th Bomb Group, 57th Bomb Wing of the 12th Air Force in North Africa and Italy, completing more than 130 missions with no crew fatalities.
- In celebration of the return of baseball, the first of 162 regular season games in 2022 and the first Opening Day at Target Field without restrictions since 2019, a special “Thank You, Fans” video will honor Twins fans – the heart and soul of baseball, and the ones who turn a building into a ballpark.
- The ceremonial first pitches will be thrown by Twins icons and 2022 National Baseball Hall of Fame electees Jim Kaat and Tony Oliva, caught by Twins Hall of Famers Tom Kelly and Kent Hrbek.
Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Entering 2022