Something Fishy’s Going On In Minnesota: Walleye Opener Saturday
Few days in Minnesota are celebrated like the opening weekend of the fishing season. Tomorrow marks the start of the 2020 walleye season on our 11,842 lakes. (I know we say 10,000 -- but Minnesotans don't like to brag.)
The DNR has released guidelines for social distancing on the water. I'll be spending the day on the lake up north. Here are some interesting Minnesota fishing facts.
- Around 500,000 Minnesotans are expected to go fishing this weekend.
- 1.5 million Minnesotans have a fishing license.
- Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener has been cancelled this year.
- Minnesota anglers spend an average of $1500 each per season.
- According to the DNR, crappies are the most sought after fish in the state.
- The Minnesota DNR has many cool mobile fishing-friendly apps HERE.
- Here are the 2020 Minnesota Fishing Regulations.
- For everything you need regarding fishing in the state, visit the DNR Fishing page.
Saturday's forecast for the St. Cloud area is Partly Sunny and 58. Visit the 98.1 interactive weather page to access weather forecasts for other areas of Minnesota HERE.
Good luck. Have fun. Be safe. Catch fish! I look forward to hearing how you did on Monday.