Long Prairie’s ‘Long Drive-In’ Opening Memorial Day Weekend
A summer staple in Central Minnesota is gearing up to open for the season. The Long Drive-In in Long Prairie announced via Facebook how they plan to operate this year to comply with social distancing guidelines.
Their initial post stated:
Please be patient as re-opening a business that is public facing has a LOT of moving parts and forms to be filled out.
We are just trying really hard to get this right.
Everyone in the comments was being super supportive urging the popular spot to take the time they need to do it right and being excited just to be able to see a movie under the stars.
They made a formal announcement saying that they would be opening for the season on Memorial Day weekend 2020.
We are feeling so incredibly grateful to finally be able to swing open those gates and offer this community some semblance of things returning back to normal.
Please keep in mind that as we re-open there will be a need for changes. But we will get back to normal everyone. It WILL happen. In the meantime, let’s make the most of this. *Safely*
Their list of movies for the weekend is yet to come out, but they did release some of the operating guidelines they will have for this year:
- Cars will need to be parked six feet apart
- Camping will not be allowed until further notice
- Concessions will be limited for first weekend as they work through new systems to avoid lines.
- Plexiglass has been installed inside concession to separate lobby area from back of counter. Staff will use hand sanitizer between each customer.
- Additional portable restrooms are being permanently installed to avoid lines to bathroom and those will be cleaned every 30 minutes as per CDC guidelines.
The Long Drive-In has been operating since 1956. Weekend nights they play two movies for one low price, and they play rain or shine. The Drive-In is a right of passage for area kids. It's the first place you take your friends when someone with a summer birthday gets their license, it is THE spot for first dates, and their popcorn is second to none. I know this Long Prairie girl can't wait to go back to the drive-in this summer!