11 Things You Don’t Want to Forget on College Move-In Weekend
It's move-in weekend in central Minnesota. Many first year students will be heading to the dorms. Some of these students have never moved in their lives, so they've never had to worry about forgetting these things at home. Those who have moved before definitely understand how forgetting even one thing on this list can cause a b-a-a-a-a-d situation. Here's a list of 11 things you don't want to forget at home.
- Medicine. Moving is stressful and you might need a Tylenol or two. Don't rely on the campus nurse.
- Cleaning products. Most dorms do not provide you with cleaning supplies. Dorms are usually "cleaned" before you move in, but it's best to give them a once-over.
- Paper plates and other disposable cookware. You will likely have a meal plan, but if mom packed you a few goodies for college, you're going to want to make sure you're prepared.
- Phone charger. This one seems obvious enough, however, I've stayed in many hotels where the charger is the one thing I forget to pack. It'll ruin your day, especially if you're trying to coordinate multiple people helping you move.
- Personal documents. You're on your own now...so, it's best to have your social security card, ID and maybe even a passport just in case. Keep these things in a very safe place.
- Tools. When we moved my sister into her dorm, she had a whole pile of furniture we had to put together...and we didn't have the right tools.
- Garbage bags. Chances are, you'll have a lot of garbage--especially if you're opening up new things. The dorms usually don't provide garbage bags, just garbage cans.
- Water bottles. You're going to be working hard, sweating and getting super thirsty.
- Tape. Freshmen love decorating their room on the first day. Tape is a key player.
- Snacks. This is important because your sister Kim gets HANGRY.
- Remotes and cords. My sister remembered to bring her TV but forgot the remote at home. She also remembered her Xbox but forgot the cords. Double check.
Happy move-in weekend!