This story was updated at 6:20 PM on January 9th. 

This dog thought he was finding a tasty snack and it turned out to be something way worse.  A family saw that their dog Riley was acting strange and sick. They thought their dog had gotten into something weird and unfortunately it did, and it was something serious. The poor pup had ingested meth that it found in a discarded Subway bag.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app

The Chisago County Sheriff's Office shared a post on Thursday, January 9th about the dog and what it found in the ditch:

The dog had come across a Subway bag filled with over 80 grams of meth, needles and a meth pipe in a ditch. Smelling the crumbs still in the bag, the dog started eating it and ingested the meth.

In the comment section of the original post the Sheriff's office estimated the findings to be worth about $7800.

Riley was taken to a vet and was dangerously sick, and unfortunately had to be euthanized Wednesday afternoon. There was an outpouring of support from the comment section sending well wishes to the dog's owners during this terrible situation. There is a GoFundMe set up to help this family cover the thousands of dollars in vet bills they now have.

Update source: KSTP

Get the '98.1 Insider' Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter and get the latest Minnesota & music news in your inbox a couple times a week. If we're not awesome, drop us like a hot potato.