98.1 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [Videos]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re featuring Marty Robbins, George Jones, Chris LeDoux, Trisha Yearwood and Reba McEntire.
Marty Robbins – “My Woman, My Woman, My Wife” -- 1970
This song is written and recorded by Marty Robbins. It became Robbins' 14th number one hit. It also won the Grammy Award for Best Country Song in 1971.
In the news in 1970:
- 100,000 demonstrate in Washington D.C. against the Vietnam Warthe
- The average cost of a new house was $23,450.00
- At the pumps, a gallon of gas was 36 cents
Hands that are strong but wrinkled, doing work that never gets done, hair that’s lost some of the beauty by too many hours in the sun.
George Jones – “Her Name Is” -- 1976
Bobby Braddock wrote this song and George the Great made it a top ten hit landing at number three on the country chart.
In the news in 1976:
- An earthquake in Tangshan, China on July 28th kills 655,000 people
- The Apple Computer Company is formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak
Oh I love her and just can’t live without her, and I’ve got the urge to tell the world about her, but our loves a secret and can’t see the light of day.
Chris LeDoux – “Life is a Highway” -- 1998
Tom Cochrane wrote and recorded the song. It was covered by Rascal Flatts and Chris LeDoux. The song is one of LeDoux’s most popular among fans.
In the news in 1998:
- President Clinton outline first balanced budget in 30 years on February 3rd
- The Unabomber is sentenced to four life terms on May 4th
Life’s like a road that your travel on, when there’s one day here and the next day gone.
Trisha Yearwood – “That’s what I Like About You” -- 1992
This song peaked at number eight on the Hot Country Singles Chart. Written by Kevin Welch, John Hadley and Wally Wilson.
In the news in 1992:
- Minnesota experiences its busiest tornado day ever with 27 recorded twisters, the largest tornado in this family is an F5 that struck Chandler, MN killing one
- Mike Tyson convicted of the rape of Miss Black Rhode Island, Desiree Washington
I like a man whose crazy about me, I like a man who can live without me too, that’s what I like about you.
Reba McEntire – “Let the Music Lift You Up” -- 1987
This top ten hit was written by Troy Seals and Eddie Setser reaching number four on the Billboard’s Hot Country Singles Chart.
In the news in 1987:
- Terry Waite, the special envoy of the Archbishop of Canterbury in Lebanon is kidnapped in Beirut
- The food and drug administration approves anti-aids drug AZT
Well you say you’re from the city, California is your home, hey I’m a country girl over Oklahoma way.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email email@example.com.