Subtle Signs of Depression
Mental health is finally getting more attention, but it's still not enough. Trying to be empathetic and look out for signs that you have a loved one who's struggling can be overwhelming.
This isn't a definitive list, but here are some subtle signs that it's more than "just a bad day."
SUBTLE SIGNS OF DEPRESSION
1. Your Mood (in general) Tanks
- Bad days happen, a few in a row aren't uncommon; but if your mood is in the dumps for weeks or months, you should get some help.
2. Lashing Out
- For men, the usual signs of depression (sadness, fatigue, etc.) can be seen as a sign of weakness. To compensate, we can get inexplicably angry.
3. You Get Stupid(er?)
- Being unable to express emotions can lead to reckless behavior. Like lashing out, consistent bad judgment is a red flag for depression.
4. Excessive Drinking
- Dopamine is hard to come by when suffering from depression, so getting hammered is a way to compensate.
If talking about it is difficult, try texting instead. Text CONNECT to 741741.
If all else, email me. Ned@MinnesotasNewCountry.com
Don't suffer alone. Please.
H/T: Men's Health