One Ticket Matches All Six Powerball Numbers for $700 Million Win
One ticket matched all six numbers in last night's Powerball drawing for a jackpot worth $699.8 million dollars. Tonight's Mega Millions jackpot is an estimated $45 million. Wednesday's Powerball jackpot resets to an estimated $20 million.
The winning numbers in last night's Powerball drawing were: 28-38-42-47-52, Powerball: 1. The winning ticket was sold in California and is the sixth-largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history.
A basic Powerball ticket costs $2, and to claim the big prize you'll need to match five numbers (1-69), plus the Powerball (1-26). The odds? 1 in 292,301,388. Assuming you win the Powerball jackpot Saturday, you can take the lump-sum cash option and bring home $14.2 million.
A basic Mega Millions ticket costs $2, and to claim the big prize you'll need to match five numbers (1-70), plus the Mega Ball (1-25). The odds? 1 in 302,575,350. Assuming you win the Mega Millions jackpot tonight, you can take the lump-sum cash option and bring home $31.7 million.
The 10 Biggest Lottery Jackpots in U.S. History
- $1.586 Billion (Powerball) January 2016 - Split between three winners.
- $1.537 Billion (Mega Millions) October 2018 - One winner.
- $768.4 Million (Powerball) March 2019 - One winner.
- $758.7 Million (Powerball) August 2017 - One winner.
- $731.1 Million (Powerball) January 2021 - One winner.
- $699.8 Million (Powerball) October 2021 - One winner.
- $656 Million (Mega Millions) March 2012 - Split between five winners.
- $648 Million (Mega Millions) December 2013 - Split between two winners.
- $590.5 Million (Powerball) May 2013 - One winner.
- $587.5 Million (Powerball) November 2012 - Split between two winners.
According to the Powerball website, Minnesota has had four grand prize jackpot winners in the past two years. In November of 2016 Michael Hawes was a winner, splitting $44.3 million. Paul Rosenau won in May of 2008, splitting an $88 million prize. In August of 2011 Thomas Morris came up big, splitting a $123.6 million jackpot. And in August of 2013 Paul White split a big $253.1 million prize.
Mega Millions drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday night. Powerball drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday night. Good luck!
LOOK: The least obedient dog breeds
The 100 Best Places to Live in the Midwest