Minnesota Winter High School Sports Schedules Set
The Minnesota State High School League met yesterday and gave the green light to winter sports in the state, setting the schedule for hockey, basketball and more.
The MSHSL committee also discussed playoffs for fall sports like football and volleyball. There was no agreement on that issue, which means as of now there could be sectional playoffs, but nothing beyond that. A 2020 Minnesota Prep Bowl at U.S. Bank Stadium will not happen as it has in years past.
2020 MSHSL Winter Sports Start Dates
- Dance: Nov. 9, 15-week season
- Adapted floor hockey: Nov. 16, 16-week season
- Boys swimming and diving: Nov. 30, 13-week season
- Boys hockey: Nov. 23, 16-week season
- Girls hockey: Nov. 30, 14-week season
- Girls gymnastics: Dec. 7, 14-week season
- Boys basketball: Nov. 23, 17-week season
- Girls basketball: Dec. 7, 17-week season
- Nordic and alpine skiing: Nov. 30, 14-week season
- Wrestling: Nov. 30, 14-week season
As for the fall sports season that sees competitive action starting next week, the football season began on Monday with eleven or twelve days of practice. The first games of the six-week regular season would take place on the weekend of October 9th and 10th. Fans will be limited to 250 at any game.
The volleyball season also began on Monday with ten days of practice before matches begin on Thursday, October 8th. The season will last eleven weeks, with fourteen matches for each team. There will be no tournaments, and fans will not be allowed in any of the gyms.
The MSHSL issued guidance back on August 7th regarding approved fall sports activities, which included soccer, tennis, cross country and girls swimming and diving.
Let's! Play! Hockey!
Pete Hanson is on 98.1 Minnesota's New Country weekday mornings from 5:30 to 10:00.