The Most Valuable Lessons I Learned In College Were Not In A Classroom
Like most young adults, I had a blast in college — both times. I learned so many things about marketing, accounting, political science and mass communications. However, some of the most important lessons I learned never came from a classroom.
All students heading off to college experience so many different changes. It’s a brand new environment, new people and new expectations. You’re on your own, flying solo, a free bird so to speak. Having gone to St. Cloud State University, I can tell you that you will learn so many wonderful things and many of them will not be in the classroom.
Here are the top five things I learned:
1. School cafeteria food doesn’t improve much from what you had in high school — That didn’t stop me and my friends from heading down there. In fact, my friend Becca and I used to have weekly breakfast dates. Those guys and gals could make a pretty decent omelet.
2. I don’t care where you’re from there will be a little bit of culture shock — My freshman year several of us went downtown for Halloween. There is nothing creepier than a middle aged man walking around in a diaper trying to pick up chicks!
3. Writing papers just hours before they’re due is the most invigorating experience ever — This was me, all the time. In fact, Procrastinator became my middle name. I would turn them in while they were still hot off the printer — (I heard the phrase the paper is still warm many times as I rushed in to the classroom a the last minute) — and I would do well on them. What can I say? That’s just how I roll!
4. No matter what anyone tells you, caffeine will become one your dearest friends — There’s no use in denying the inevitable. Me and Mountain Dew have been the best of friends for a long time now.
5. Get to know as many people as you can — I lived in a dorm my freshman year and I met some of the coolest girls ever. Even though we don’t see each other much and our lives have taken us in different directions, they are some of my dearest friends. They were fun, quirky and we had some of the best times ever. Oh boy, could we tell some embarrassing stories about each other!