My Shopping Cart Sanitizing Strategy–Don’t Judge
I just want to start by saying I grew up with a nurse for a mom. So, this isn't crazy, it's strategy. I have a little OCD when it comes to shopping carts--that's the understatement of the century.
Last night I was at Coborn's and they ran out of cart wipes. It's pretty much one of my worst shopping fears during the cold and flu season. I wasn't sure what to do, so I grabbed a cart anyway. My mom always told me that germs enter your body through your eyes, nose and mouth. So, I was hyper aware of that last night, and made sure I didn't touch my face with my dirty cart hands. The dirty cart thing was on my mind the entire time I was shopping. I literally could barely think about anything other than how gross the cart was. Finally, I got to the checkout line and noticed that each cashier booth had its own bottle of hand sanitizer. I reached around to the empty register behind me and took a HUGE glob. I put it all over the cart handle and bathed my hands in it. Why did I do this you ask...because, it's necessary.
And, because I care about you, the listener (and I don't want you spreading germs to me when I'm out in public) I'm sharing with you my fool proof cart disinfecting strategy. Please use it!
- Grab a hand sanitizing wipe before you even think about grabbing a cart. Do not touch the dirty handle!
- Start rubbing down the cart with a hand wipe immediately...make sure you sanitize everything you plan to touch.
- You may think that once you completed the first two steps that you're in the clear...but, you're not. It's a fact that the disinfecting solution needs to be completely dry before it can work. No one has time to sit and wait for that. So, the next step is necessary.
- Don't immediately throw away your hand sanitizing wipe. Instead, use it as a barrier between the cart and you until the surface of the cart is dry.
- Before you leave the store, grab another wipe and rub your hands down with it. You never know who else's dirty hands have been touching on the products you just touched.
I haven't puked in 16 1/2 years, so put away your gavel and stop judging me. ;)