How The Government Shut Down Will–Or Won’t Affect You
Some of us won't even notice that there is a government shutdown. For others, it could be a problem. Here are some of the ways it will or won't affect you.
1. You can't visit any national parks or museums. If you planned your fall vacation around Yellowstone or the Statue of Liberty, that could be a problem.
2. If you're a federal employee, chances are you're on unpaid leave. However, in the last two shutdowns we had, employees did get paid retroactively when the shutdown was over.
3. Military employees WILL be getting paid.
4. Yes, you do have to pay your taxes.
5. Through rain, sleet, snow and government shutdowns, the mail will continue
6. You won't be able to get a gun permit. That is because the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms will be closed.
7. You won't be able to get a federal loan.
8. Veterans benefits won't be paid.
9. Social Security will continue
10. If you're heading to Washington D.C. you'll have the most trouble. No city services at all, including trash collection.