Fortune Cookies Were Invented In America. So Were A Lot Of Other Foods That Might Surprise You
In “Iron Man 3″, there’s a scene where BEN KINGSLEY’S character talks about how the fortune cookie was actually invented in the United States. There are a lot of other foods that you would never guess were born here.
1. Haagen-Dazs ice cream, invented in the Bronx in 1961.
2. Vichyssoise soup, invented in Manhattan in 1917.
3. There’s nothing French about the French dip sandwich. It was invented in Los Angeles in 1908.
4. I always though German chocolate was really from Germany. Nope. It was invented by an American named Sam German in 1852. Now we know.
5. Chimichanga, invented when an American accidentally dropped a burrito in a deep fryer in 1946. My trip to a Mexican restaurant will never be the same.
6. The English muffin, invented in New York in 1894.
7. Pasta primavera, invented in New York in the 1970s.
8. The Cuban sandwich, invented in Tampa in the 1880s. Really? Sigh.