Common Myths About The American Flag
1. Betsy Ross didn’t make the first one. WHAT? Throw away everything you learned in school. Betsy DID make flags in Philly, but it was after the first design came out in 1777. More……..
2. The colors don’t symbolize American sacrifice. They were picked because the first flag of the American colonies had the same colors. Good enough reason for me.
3. The tradition of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Congress has only been around for 25 years. It’s not something that goes back to our founding fathers.
4. It’s not illegal to burn the flag! It might make you look like an idiot, but it’s not illegal.
5. The U.S. Flag Code says you’re not supposed to sell or display ANYTHING that has an image of the flag on it, if the flag is a distinguishing mark. It’s not enforceable by law, but if you wear that flag tube top over the 4th of July, the fashion police might haul you away.