Album Review – Dierks Bentley ‘Riser’ [VIDEO]
I’m going to be brutally honest about Dierks Bentley’s latest album Riser.
It’s absolutely his best yet. It’s that simple — the songs have all have a deep meaning that resonate with fans. It’s a fantastic mix of fun and serious. Let’s take a look track by track.
1. Bourbon In Kentucky — I loved this song from the moment it came out. It’s beautifully written and it has a unique perspective on a break up. Sadly, this song didn’t have the commercial success it was due but I think this is a tune fans will remember for a long time to come. He just released the video for the song last week.
2. Say You Do — This song is about reconnecting with an old love and I think it does a nice job of describing what former couples sometimes go through in terms of trying to move on from each other. I think this is one of the songs that many listeners can truly relate to.
3. I Hold On — I do believe this song will go down in history as one of my favorite Dierks Bentley songs. He says this is a love song to his wife, which I totally agree with. I think it’s also a tribute to the past and to America. I love that this is an extended version of the song as well.
4. Pretty Girls — This song is just a fun one to chill out to. It’s about small town life where there isn’t much to do except to go to the bar and watch the pretty girls drink beer. I can see this one becoming a summer anthem.
5. Here On Earth — I love this song and I suspect this one is about his dad. He co-wrote this so I believe this is his way of expressing his feelings on his dad passing. It’s raw and filled with emotion. It brought a tear to my eye.
6. Drunk On A Plane — This is one of the funniest songs I’ve heard. Usually we hear about jilted brides but this is the story of a jilted groom. I absolutely love it! It’s fun to sing along with and it will bring a smile to your face.
7. Five — This tune is fun to jam out to. It’s about a couple where the guy is crazy in love with her and he’s going to get to her as soon as he can. They’re each other’s first love and she goes away but ends up coming back. It totally reminds me of young, teenage love.
8. Riser — The title track is another amazing tune from Dierks. It’s a protector song meaning he’s tough and he’s going to fight for those that matter to him.
9. Sounds Of Summer — This would make another great summer anthem. It’s all the things we love about summer in a small town. It’s fun, upbeat and one that I can see the crowd singing along with at his shows.
10. Damn These Dreams — This tune is filled with raw emotion. It’s the battle he faces each day by chasing his dream of being a country singer and also being there for his family. It’s so real life and gives listeners a peak into his world.
11. Back Porch — This is a funky summer tune. It’s about him takin’ a break and just chilling out. There’s so major to do’s and no security. This is another one I can see fans rocking out to at his show.
12. Hurt Somebody — This song is beautiful, it’s about wanting every aspect of a relationship with a girl. The good, the bad and the ugly. It’s beautifully written and performed. Every girl wishes a guy would sing a song like this to her.
This album is filled with so many stories and so much emotion. As I said before, this is undoubtedly his best work yet. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t add this to your music collection and many reasons you should.