UNDATED -- The Minnesota Department of Agriculture wants to alert you to a poisonous plant which may be growing on your property.

Poison Hemlock has been discovered in southeastern Minnesota and has been found all across parts of the state over the years.

It's a toxic member of the carrot family and is poisonous when eaten by humans and animals. It can also poison people when handling the plants if it's exposed to the skin.

Emilie Justen is a Research Scientist with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. She says Poison Hemlock has some noticeable features.  Poison Hemlock is a tall plant, 6-8 feet tall with white flowers at the ends of the branches. The stems have purple blotches or spots on them and the leaves are fern-like.

If you find Poison Hemlock, don't expose your skin to it. Either use gloves and long sleeves to pull the plant, or kill it with an herbicide.  You can also notify the U-of-M Extension Office or visit the Minnesota Department of Agriculture's Arrest the Pest website.

Poison Hemlock - Photo courtesy of the Minnesota Department of Agriculture
Poison Hemlock - Photo courtesy of the Minnesota Department of Agriculture