98 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show on this last day of July. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the best in Country Classic Music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re offering you a bonus of the most requested songs from the radio show featuring Tanya Tucker, George Strait, Conway Twitty, Billy Walker and Randy Travis.
Tanya Tucker – “Two Sparrows in a Hurricane” -- 1992
This single is written by Mark Springer and was released September 1992. The song topped the chart at number two.
In the news in 1992:
- Democratic convention nominates Bill Clinton and Al Gore on July 1st
- A text-based web browser is made available to the public in January within a few years, millions of people became regular users of the World Wide Web
She’s fifteen and he’s barely driving a car, she’s got his ring and he’s got the keys to her heart.
George Strait – “Let’s Fall to Pieces Together” -- 1984
Rickey Lee, John Russell and Tommy Rocco wrote this number one country hit.
In the news in 1984:
- US and Vatican exchange diplomats after 116 year hiatus on January 10th
- Toxic gas leaks from Union Carbide Plant in Bhopal, India killing 2,000 and injuring 150,000 on December 3rd
Pardon me, you left your tears on the jukebox and I’m afraid they got mixed up with mine.
Conway Twitty – “Happy Birthday Darlin’” -- 1979
Chuck Howard wrote this smash number one hit for Conway Twitty. The single stayed at number one for three weeks and spent a total of 11 weeks on the country chart.
In the news in 1979:
- President Carter and Brezhnew sign Salt Two Agreement on June 14th
- Ohio agrees to pay $675,000 to families of dead and injured Kent State University shootings on January 4th
Hello darlin’ happy birthday, I’ve decided not to give you a present this year, in fact I think it’s about time I took some things away.
Billy Walker – “Charlie’s Shoes” -- 1962
This song was Billy Walker’s only number one hit, written by Roy Baham. The song spent two non-consecutive weeks at the top spot.
In the news in 1962:
- Pope John the 23rd opens the second Vatican Council
- James Meredith iis escorted by Federal Marshals and registered at University of Mississippi on October 1st
I’d like to be in Charlie’s shoes that’s what I always said, ‘cause he had you and everything tied with a golden thread.
Randy Travis – “Diggin’ Up Bones” -- 1986
Paul Overstreet and Al Gore wrote “Diggin’ Up Bones.” It peaked at number one.
In the news in 1986:
- A breakthrough in US and USSR arms talks between President Reagan and Gorbachev leads to commitment to disarm thus ending a long period of instability caused by the Cold War
- A gallon of gas was 89 cents and the average income per year was $22,400.00
Last night I dug your picture out from our old dresser drawer, I set it on the table and talked to it till four.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.