98 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show for this Sunday, July 10th. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the very best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we feature Dave and Sugar, Jimmy Dean, Barbara Fairchild, Mickey Gilley and a duet by George Jones and Tammy Wynette.
Dave and Sugar – “I’m Knee Deep in Loving You” -- 1977
This song is written by Sonny Throckmorton and recorded by the country group Dave and Sugar. The song went to number two on the country chart.
In the news in 1977:
- The New York City Blackout lasts for 25 hours and results in looting and disorder
- The first Apple Computer goes on sale
- Jimmy Carter is elected President of the United States
Well I’m knee deep in loving you done got deeper than I wanted to, It’ll probably drown me before I’m through.
Jimmy Dean – “Big Bad John” -- 1961
Jimmy Dean and Roy Acuff wrote the song and recorded by Jimmy Dean. It hit number one on Billboard Hot 100 and won Dean the 1962 Grammy Award for Best Country Recording.
In the news in 1961:
- US breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba on January 3rd
- Robert Frost recites “The Gift Outright” at John F. Kennedy’s inauguration on January 20th
- Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human in space
Every morning at the mine you could see him arrive, he stood six foot six and weighed two forty-five.
Barbara Fairchild – “Kids Stuff” -- 1973
This song peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot Country Singles Chart. It was written by Jerry Crutchfield and Dow Eral.
In the news in 1973:
- Vice President Spiro Agnew resigns, pleading no contest to charges of tax evasion
- President Nixon releases Watergate tapes
I often think of younger days, a boy, a girl and back yard play, I’d get hurt, you’d get your way and they called it kids’ stuff.
Mickey Gilley – “Stand by Me” -- 1980
Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber and Mike Steller wrote this song, a single by Mickey Gilley from the album 'Urban Cowboy.' Gilley will be performing at Rollies Red Necks and Longnecks at 6 pm on Highway 23 East, Sauk Rapids July 10th.
In the news in 1980:
- Failed US rescue attempt to save hostages in Tehran
- John Lennon is assassinated
- Pac-Man video game is released
When the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is the only light we’ll see, no I won’t be afraid, no I won’t be afraid, just as long as you stand, stand by me.
George Jones and Tammy Wynette – “The Ceremony” -- 1972
This is a duet by George Jones and Tammy Wynette as a married couple. It reached number two on the charts. The song was written by Bill Sherrill, Carmol Taylor and Jenny Strickland.
In the news in 1972:
- George McGovern dropped his running mate after it was revealed that his running mate, Thomas Eagleton had electrical shock therapy to treat depression. He was replaced by Sargent Shriver
- Nike running shoes hit the US market
Dearly beloved we are gathered in the presence of god and these witnesses, to join this man and this woman in the bonds of holy matrimony.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email email@example.com.