98 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show on this Independence Day weekend. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the very best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re offering you a bonus of the most requested songs from the radio show featuring Vern Gosdin, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Tanya Tucker and a duet from Kenny Rogers and Dottie West.
Vern Gosdin – “I’m Still Crazy” -- 1989
This was Gosdin final number one hit written by Buddy Cannon, Vern Gosdin and his son Steve Gosdin.
In the news in 1989:
- Serial killer Ted Bundy is executed in Florida’s electric chair
- The first episodes of the Simpsons are shown
Well I woke up one morning with a note up on my chest, it said I’m gone for good.
Merle Haggard – “Misery and Gin” -- 1980
This top ten hit was written by Snuff Garret and John Durrill. The song scored a number three position.
In the news in 1980:
- Three US nuns and a Lay worker are found shot in El Salvador on December 4th
- The US Supreme Court upholds limits on federal aid for abortions June 30th
Memories and drinks don’t mix too well and juke box records don’t play those wedding bells.
Waylon Jennings – “Rainy Day Woman” -- 1974
“Rainy Day Woman” is written and recorded by Waylon Jennings. The song reached number two on the Billboard Hot Country Singles Chart.
In the news in 1974:
- John Mitchell, H.R. Haldeman, John D Ehrlichman found guilty of the Watergate cover-up
- Construction of the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline System begins
Oh rainy day woman, I’ve never seem to see you for the good times or the sunshine.
Tanya Tucker – “Two Sparrows in a Hurricane” -- 1992
Mark Springer wrote this song and recorded by Tanya Tucker. The song reached number two on the country chart.
In the news in 1992:
- Four police officers acquitted in Los Angeles beating of Rodney King
- US Supreme Court reaffirms right to abortion on June 29th
She’s fifteen and he’s barley driving a car, she’s got his ring and he’s got the key’s to her heart, it’s just a matter of time.
Dottie West and Kenny Rogers – “What Are We Doin’ in Love” -- 1981
This song is written by Randy Goodrum and recorded as a duet by Dottie West and Kenny Rogers. It was the duo’s third and final number one on the country chart.
In the news in 1981:
- Pope John Paul II is wounded by a gunman on May 14th
- President Reagan is wounded by a gunman with the press secretary and two law enforcement officers on March 30th
We’re like summer and winter we’re not one bit alike, we’re like satin and linders, I’m definitely not your type.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.