98 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show! We’re on air at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device. Today we’re going to offer you a bonus five of the most requested songs from the radio show and we're featuring Alabama, Lynn Anderson, Olivia Newton John, Oak Ridge Boys and Alan Jackson.
Alabama – “Southern Star” - 1989
Southern Star was written by Rich Alves, Steve Dean and Roger Murrah. The song was released in November and shot to number one on December 16th.
News & Events from 1989:
- A jury convicts Oliver North in Iran-contra affair
- America’s beloved comedian Lucille Ball dies at age 87
- Serial killer Ted Bundy is executed in Florida
Oh southern star how I wish you would shine and show me the way to get home.
Lynn Anderson – “What a Man My Man Is”- 1974
This song was Lynn Anderson’s last number one country hit, staying at the top for one week and spending a total of nine weeks on the chart.
News & Events from 1974:
- Nixon resigns the Presidency over Watergate.
- Evel Knievel tried to jump the Snake River canyon, but instead falls 600 feet to the ground and suffers only minor injuries,
- India tests its first Nuclear bomb.
Good bye blue I’m not gonna sing you no more, I finally got my hands on what I’ve been looking for.
Olivia Newton John – “Let Me Be There” - 1973
Let Me Be There is written by John Rostill and recorded by Olivia Newton John. The song peaked at number seven on the country chart and also won her a Grammy for Best Female Country Vocalist.
News & Events from 1973:
- US troops were withdrawn from Vietnam and US involvement in Vietnam War ends with the signing of peace.
- Chrysler and other US car makers close a number of plants affecting 100,000 workers
- The cost of a gallon of gas was 40 cents.
Wherever you go, wherever you may wander in your life, surely you know I always wanna be there.
The Oak Ridge Boys – “Elvira” - 1981
Elvira is written by Dallas Frazier which became both a country and pop hit by the Oak Ridge Boys. It's best known as one of their signature songs.
News & Events from 1981:
- AIDS is first identified
- Iran releases 52 American hostages, who had been held for 444 days
- The first flight of the Space shuttle Columbia took place
Elvira, Elvira my heart’s on fire for Elvira, eye’s that look like cherry wine, that girl cannot make my light shine.
Alan Jackson – “Gone Country” - 1994
Bob McDill wrote Gone Country and the song was recorded by Alan Jackson. The song topped the chart at number one on December 10th.
News & Events from 1994:
- US sends forces to the Persian Gulf Olympic
- Figure skater Nancy Kerrigan was attacked January 6th, three were arrested in connection with the attack on January 13th
- Bill Clinton was accused of sexual harassment while Governor of Arkansas
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis past away.
She’s been playing in a room on the strip for ten years in Vegas, every night she looks in the mirror and she only ages.