98.1 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [Videos]
Good morning on this Sunday, October 9th and a big welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the best in country classic music as we take you down memory lane at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re offering you a bonus of the most requested songs from the radio show featuring Dan Seals, Eddie Rabbitt, Charly McClain, Tanya Tucker and Dwight Yoakam.
Dan Seals – “God Must be a Cowboy” -- 1984
The song was Dan Seals' first top ten hit reaching number ten. It was written by Dan Seals.
In the news in 1984:
- Democratic Presidential candidate Walter Mondale of Minnesota loses 49 states and the general election to Ronald Reagan
- Indian Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi is assassinated
A campfire, some coffee from a tin cup in my hand, sure warms the fingers when it’s cold.
Eddie Rabbitt – “American Boy” -- 1990
Written and recorded by Eddie Rabbitt, the song reached number eleven on the country chart.
In the news in 1990:
- South Africa frees Nelson Mandela, imprisoned 27 ½ years on February 11th
- Lech Walesa wins Poland’s runoff Presidential election on December 9th
I wanna live in a place where they name their kids Billy, turn on the radio and hear my man Willie.
Charly McClain – “Radio Heart” -- 1985
Written by Stephen Davis and Dennis Morgan, Charly McClain’s second number one hit on the country chart.
In the news in 1985:
- Terry Anderson is kidnapped in Beirut, Lebanon
- The Unabomber kills his first victim
Married at 16, 2 kids by 21, but he couldn’t take it, now she’s raisin them on her own between the bills and the laundry.
Tanya Tucker – “Strong Enough to Bend” -- 1988
Released in June 1988 from the album of the same name, it became Tanya Tucker’s ninth number one country hit. It was written by Beth Nielsen-Chapman and Don Schlitz.
In the news in 1988:
- US Navy ship shoots down Iranian airliner in Persian Gulf mistaking it for a jet fighter, 290 killed on July 3rd
- First transatlantic fiber optic cable is laid, able to carry 40,000 telephone calls simultaneously
There’s a tree out in the backyard that never has been broken by the wind, and the reason its still standing, it was strong enough to bend.
Dwight Yoakam – “Guitars, Cadillacs” -- 1986
Dwight Yoakam wrote and recorded this song,peaking at number four on the country chart.
In the news in 1986:
- Space shuttle Challenger explodes after launch at Cape Canaveral, Florida killing all seven aboard January 28th
- A gallon of gas is 89 cents on average in the US
Girl you taught me how to hurt real bad and cry myself to sleep and showed me how this town can shatter dreams.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.