98.1 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show on this Father’s Day. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the very best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re featuring Dwight Yoakam, George Strait, Merle Haggard, Anne Murray and The Statler Brothers.
Dwight Yoakam – “Suspicious Minds” -- 1992
Mark James wrote this song, Elvis Presley had a number one hit with it in 1969. Dwight Yoakam covered it in 1992 reaching number 35 on Billboard’s Hot Country Singles Chart.
In the news in 1992:
- Yitzhak Rabin comes to power in Israel promising to pursue peace talks with the Palestinian Liberation Organization
- President Bush pardons former Reagan administration officials involved in the Iran-Contra Affair
We’re caught in a trap I can’t walk out, because I love you too much baby why can’t you see.
George Strait – The Chair” -- 1985
Written by Dean Dillion and Hank Cochran, George Strait recorded the song where it peaked at number one on the country chart.
In the news in 1985:
- Terrorists seize Egyptian Boeing 737 airliner after takeoff from Athens on November 23; 59 dead as Egyptian forces storm the plane in Malta on November 24th
- Rock Hudson dies of AIDS at age 59
Well excuse me but I think you’ve got my chair, no that one’s not taken, I don’t mind if you sit here.
Merle Haggard – “If We’re Not Back in Love by Monday” -- 1977
Sonny Throckmorton and Glenn Martin wrote this song. It was recorded by Merle Haggard topping the country chart at number two.
In the news in 1977:
- Non-smokers win court battle with Eastern Airlines which required Eastern to have at least 65% non-smoking seats
- Crude oil from Alaska begins flowing south down the Trans-Alaska pipeline to the ice-free port of Valdez, Alaska
We can call Mrs. Johnson to keep the kids a day or two, take the early flight to Florida just the way we used to do.
Anne Murray – “A Little Good News” -- 1983
This song was written by Tommy Rocco, Charlie Black and Rory Bourke. It became Anne Murray’s seventh number one hit on the Billboard Country Chart.
In the news in 1983:
- The United States invaded Grenada
- Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space on the Space Shuttle Challenger
- Carrie Underwood, country music singer and winner of the 4th season of American Idol was born
I rolled out this morning the kids had the mornin’ news show on, Bryant Gumbel was talkin’ ‘bout the fighting in Lebanon.
The Statler Brothers – “The Class of ‘57” -- 1972
“The Class of ‘57” is written Don Reid and Harold Reid. It was recorded by The Statler Brothers topping the chart at number two. The Brothers won a 1972 Grammy Award for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group.
In the news in 1972
- President Nixon orders Christmas bombing of North Vietnam
- Governor George Wallace of Alabama is shot by Arthur H. Bremer in Laurel, MD, at a political rally May 15th
Tommy’s selling used cars, Nancy’s fixing hair, Harvey runs a grocery store and Margaret doesn’t care, Jerry drives a truck for Sears and Charlotte’son the make.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email email@example.com.