98.1 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning and a big welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re featuring The Bellamy Brothers, Brooks and Dunn, Merle Haggard, George Jones and Loretta Lynn.
The Bellamy Brothers – “Redneck Girl” -- 1982
David Bellamy wrote the song and it topped the chart at number one.
IN THE NEWS IN 1982:
- The largest cash robbery in history occurs in New York when $9,800,000 is stolen from an armed car
- A severe recession begins in the United States
- The Weather Channel airs on cable television for the first time
Redneck girl likes to cruise in daddy’s pickup truck and a redneck girl plays hard when she’s down on her luck.
Brooks and Dunn – “My Maria” -- 1996
This song is co-written by B.W. Stevenson and Daniel Moore. Brooks and Dunn released a cover version of the song in March of 1996.
IN THE NEWS IN 1989:
- FBI arrests suspected Unabomber in April
- Congress passes welfare reform bill on August 2nd, approved by President Clinton on August 22nd
My Maria don’t you know I’ve come a long, long way, I been longin’ to see her.
Merle Haggard – “Workin’ Man Blues” -- 1969
A single written by the late great Merle Haggard topping the chart at number one.
IN THE NEWS IN 1969:
- James Earl Ray pleaded guilty to the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King in Memphis, Tennessee and was later sentenced to 99 years in jail; Ray later repudiated that plea
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the US dies at Walter Reed General Hospital at age 78
It’s a big job just getting’ by with nine kids and a wife, I been a workin’ man dang near all my life.
George Jones – “Who’s Gonna fill their Shoes” -- 1985
From the album of the same name, a song written by Troy Seals and Max Barnes scoring a number three hit for George Jones.
IN THE NEWS IN 1985:
- TWA Flight 847 is hijacked by Hezbollah on June 4th
- Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows; Windows 1.0
- Compact discs are introduced to American consumers
You know this old world is full of singers, but just a few are chosen to tear your heart out when they sing.
Loretta Lynn – “You’re Lookin’ at Country” -- 1971
Loretta Lynn wrote this song. The song reached number five on the Billboard Hot Country Singles Chart.
IN THE NEWS IN 1971:
- President Mobutu renames the Democratic Republic of Congo, establishing Zaire on October 27th
- Cigarette advertising ends on television and radio in the US
Well I like lovin’ done country style and this little girl would walk a country mile.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.