98.1 Country Classic Bonus – 5 Most Requested Classic Hits [Videos]
Good morning and welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show, half way through November already. You can join me every Sunday from 9 am to 1 pm for the very best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we’re featuring Johnny Cash, John Denver, Tanya Tucker, Dan Seals and Suzy Boggus.
Johnny Cash – “Folsom Prison Blues” -- 1968
This song has two versions, one in 1955 and the other in 1968. Cash Performed the song at Folsom Prison on January 13, 1968. Released as a single reaching number one on the country chart and was written by Johnny Cash.
In the news in 1968:
- U.S. Sen. Eugene McCarthy refuses to stand with Democratic presidential candidate Hubert H. Humphrey at the Democratic National convention. Humphrey wins the Democratic nomination
- On January 30, North Vietnam launches the Tet offensive against the United States and South Vietnam
I hear the train a comin’, it’s rollin’ round the bend, and I ain’t seen the sunshine.
John Denver – “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” -- 1975
Written by John Martin Sommers. A live version released as a single that topped the Billboard Country Singles Chart at number one.
In the news in 1975:
- Apollo and Soyuz spacecraft take-off for US / Soviet link-up in space July 15th Home video tape systems
- Home video tape systems -- VCRs -- are developed in Japan by Sony and Matsushita
Well, life's on a farm is kinda laid back. Ain't much an old.country boy like me can’t hack, it’s early to rise early in the sack, thank god I’m a country boy.
Tanya Tucker – “I’ll Come Back as Another Woman” -- 1986
Written by Kent Robbins and Richard E. Carpenter. The song reached number two on the Billboard Hot Country Singles Chart.
In the news in 1986:
- The US introduces sweeping tax reform legislation
- British surgeons perform the world’s first triple transplant (heart, liver, and lungs)
You never gave back the love I gave to you, you just gave me half your heart and that half was untrue.
Dan Seals – “Addicted” -- 1988
Cheryl Wheeler wrote this song. “Addicted” was the lead single off Dan Seals "‘Rage on"’ album scoring a number one position.
In the news in 1988:
- Over a third of Yellowstone National Park is destroyed when a series of more than 250 small different fires combined with the 1988 drought destroys 793,880 acres of the park he Hubble space telescope is put into operation.
- The Hubble space telescope is put into operation.
She says she hates to sleep alone, but she’ll do it tonight, she wants to grab her telephone, but she knows it ain’t right.
Suzy Boggus – “Aces” -- 1992
Cheryl Wheeler also wrote “Aces” reaching number nine on the Billboard Hot Country singles chart.
In the news in 1992:
- On June 16, Minnesota experiences its busiest tornado day ever with 27 recorded tornados. The largest, an F5 that strikes Chandler, killing one
- Alex Haley, Anthony Perkins and Lawrence Welk pass away
Well my old friend said to me, I ain’t being what I’m supposed to be, well I don’t know, it could be true.
We always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.