98.1 Classic Country Bonus – 5 Most Requested Country Classic Hits [VIDEOS]
Good morning from the Benton County Fair. Welcome to the 98.1 Country Classic Show. You can join me from 9 am to 1 pm for the best in country classic music at 98.1 FM Minnesota’s New Country, online and on your mobile device.
Today we feature Chris LeDoux, Skeeter Davis, Johnny Duncan, John Anderson and a duet from Charly McClain and Mickey Gilley.
Chris LeDoux – “Whatcha Gonna Do with a Cowboy” -- 1992
This song was written by Garth Brooks and Mark Sanders. The song was recorded by Chris LeDoux and Garth Brooks and topped the country chart at number seven.
In the news in 1992:
- In technology, the first nicotine patch is introduced and DNA fingerprinting is invented
- Yitzak Rabin comes to power in Israel promising to pursue peace and talks with the Palestine Liberation Organization
I can see you got your eye on this old cowboy and I can tell you’ve never had one for your own.
Skeeter Davis – “Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now” -- 1964
Milton Kellum wrote this song in 1951. The song was recorded by several artists. Skeeter Davis recorded the song and reached number 48 on the country chart.
In the news in 1964:
- On October 25th, Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jim Marshall picks up a fumble but runs the wrong way into the opponent’s end zone, he throws the ball out of bounds, scoring a safety for the San Francisco 49ers
- US Surgeon General Luther Terry affirms that cigarette smoking causes cancer
Uh huh, hmm hmm gonna get along without you now, uh huh, hmm hum, gonna get along without you now.
Johnny Duncan – “She Can Put Her Shoes Under My Bed Anytime” -- 1978
Aaron Schroeder and Bob Halley wrote this number one hit for Johnny Duncan.
In the news in 1978:
- Jim Jones followers commit mass suicide in Jonestown, Guyana on November 18th
- The first Garfield comic strip debuts in US newspapers
She can put her shoes under my bed anytime, matter of fact she can move right into my life and stay.
John Anderson – “1959” -- 1980
A top ten hit for John Anderson reaching number seven on the country chart. This song is written by Gary Gentry.
In the news in 1980:
- The US breaks diplomatic ties with Iran on April 7th
- Three US nuns and a lay worker are found shot in El Salvador on December 4th
- Camcorders and fax machines begin to appear
Cigarettes were a quarter then, Bobby Soxs and Jeans were in, Elvis sang the songs that we loved so.
Charly McClain and Mickey Gilley – “Paradise Tonight” -- 1983
A number one duet hit in 1983 and written by Bill Kenner and Mark Wright.
In the news in 1983:
- Pope John Paul II signs the New Roman Catholic Code incorporating changes brought about by the second Vatican Council
- Country singer Carrie Underwood and winner of the 4th season of American Idol was born
Honestly I can’t believe the magic you do, never seen anything as lovely as you, I was so afraid I was so alone and blue.
Remember we always take your requests at 320-252-9897
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.