11 Things You’re Likely to See at a Minnesota Super Bowl Party
It should come as no surprise that in Minnesota, we do things a little differently when it comes to most things in life--including the Super Bowl. The rest of the world may not understand us, but we understand each other. In fact, a lot of us throw similar parties. Here are a few things you're likely to see at a Minnesota Super Bowl gathering.
- Vikings jersey-The Minnesota Vikings are not playing in this year's Super Bowl, but that won't stop Minnesotans from representing their team anyway.
- Crock pots shaped like footballs--We're known for our crock pots in this state, and it should come as no surprise that we have a special crock pot for every occasion.
- Some type of cheesy potato dish with corn flakes on top--We love our potatoes and pretty much any starch for that matter. Cheesy potatoes are one of our coveted comfort foods.
- Ham roll ups aka Minnesota sushi--It's a pickle that's covered in cream cheese and wrapped in ham. It's simple and it's our style. For some reason we just can't get enough of these things. They're a staple at every holiday function.
- Beer--That's all I need to say...beer.
- Pile of muddy shoes and boots in the entry way--You'd think we'd be able to come up with a better system, but no. Whenever there's a large gathering in Minnesota and you have to take your shoes off, you can pretty much guarantee you'll get muddy socks trying climb your way out of "shoe mountain."
- Little smokies with cheddar cheese--They're just so cute and super easy to make. It's like a mini hot dog. I feel kind of classy when I eat one of these. Put a little BBQ sauce on it and you're good to go! Some of us get really innovative and wrap these babies in bacon!
- Homemade sauce--We're proud of our homemade concoctions whether it's a homemade salsa with ingredients you grew right in your own garden, or a secret wing sauce. The Super Bowl is our time to show off our sauce skills.
- A Vikings blanket pinned up on the wall--I'm not sure why we do this, but every Super Bowl party I've ever been to in Minnesota has included a blanket with a giant Vikings logo hanging on the wall.
- A group of people not paying attention to the game at all--Let's face it, some of us just show up for the food and the half time show. We'd never decline an invitation because we're too Minnesota nice.
- Cards--It's one of Minnesota's favorite past times. You can pretty much always find a deck of cards floating around at any of our big "get-togethers."