10 Things You Missed If You Weren’t At The Twins Home Opener
Twins fans didn't know whether to expect rain or sunshine in the forecast yesterday. But, they were out at Target Field ready to expect anything. And, it actually all turned out for the best! It was an amazing opening day. If you weren't there, here's what you missed.
1. Twins win--Yes, you read that right. The Twins beat the Kansas City Royals 7-1 yesterday! It felt like everyone was on their feet with excitement. It gave everyone a little hope after last year's record breaking losses. It was a great game!
2. Fair weather--It was a little chilly yesterday, but as long as you were dressed for the weather, it was pretty nice out. I wore a hoodie, a jacket and I had a blanket wrapped around me and I was feeling pretty good. The weather was better than everyone expected because the rain held off during the game.
3. Fireworks--There were fireworks during the Twins starting lineup. It was actually pretty cool because I don't think they did that last year.
4. Miguel Sano's home run--Some people have been questioning the type of year he's going to have, but, yesterday he crushed a home run into left field! If you've got any doubts about Sano's performance this year, yesterday may have given you some hope.
5.Seventh Inning Walks--It was totally shocking and the entire stadium was on their feet during the 7th inning. The Twins were given so many walks. It was exciting and pretty much the reason why we won the game yesterday. People are calling it the best home opener since the 90's.
6. Twins shirt--The free gift at the gate yesterday was a thin twins hoodie. It was more of a thin shirt with a hood on it. I think last year's opening day gift was a little better.
7. No Flyover--F-16 fighter jets from Duluth's 148th Fighter Wing of the Minnesota Air National Gaurd were supposed to flyover the stadium before the start of the game. However, because it was so cloudy out, they ended up canceling the trip. It was kind of sad because it's a neat experience.
8. Minnesota Orchestra--It was really neat that the Brass Quintet with the Grammy award-winning Minnesota Orchestra was on hand for the National Anthem!
9. Hot chocolate--It was pretty much the beverage of choice yesterday. It was a little chilly out, and a steaming cup of cocoa was exactly what the soul needed. I must confess that even though it wasn't exactly summer weather, I still got some ice cream. I think I was the only one in the stadium eating it too.
10. New food--If you weren't at opening day yesterday then you missed some new Target Field food items. New to the menu this year are vegan sriracha brats and Italian sausages. If you were in the mood for Indian food, there was a chicken tikka salad available that looked super good. They also added new burritos, tacos and a variety of dessert options. If you're planning on going to a game this year, go hungry!